The idea is to avoid products that damage the nappy or clog the inserts.
As a general rule, avoid any detergent containing Savon de Marseille. If you're a pro at homemade detergent then you'll have to put it to one side when it comes to washing your nappies. The same goes for soapnuts. They may clog up the inserts and make them water-resistant.
Also avoid any detergent containing bleaching agents, optical brighteners, solvents, disinfectants, over 5% polycarboxylate or phosphonates and over 5% fragrance as you may wear out your nappies before their time.
You can use our stain remover soap to remove stains but don't hand wash nappies or pouches entirely as you may damage the pouchespouches.
Here's a sample list of detergents approved by Hamac expert parents:
• Rainett Aloe Vera liquid detergent (but don't get the Savon de Marseille one or the "Fraîcheur et éclat du linge" version which contains optical brighteners)
• Soapix liquid detergent or washing powder
• Body Nature liquid detergent or washing powder
• Ecodoo lavender liquid detergent (not the hypoallergenic one with Savon de Marseille)
• Hypoallergenic Etamine du Lys (not the regular one)
• Nuncas liquid detergent
/!\Detergents on the naughty list with previous convictions for damaging reusable nappies or clogging up inserts
• Arbre vert
• Ariel liquid or powder
• Magnetic laundry balls and Biowashballs (clog up nappies with urine residue)
• Carrefour Ecologique liquid detergent
• Ecodoo washing powder or hypoallergenic Ecodoo liquid detergent
• Regular Etamine du Lys
• Harmonie Verte
• La vie claire
• La Droguerie Ecologique
• Le Chat Sensitive, Le Chat bébé, le Chat Expert, Le Chat Paillettes and Le Chat Eco Efficacité
• Leclerc Eco + and Leclerc Uni Vert liquid detergent
• Monoprix liquid detergent
• Savon de Marseille soap flakes
• Skip liquid detergent
• X-tra liquid detergent or washing powder
These lists are updated on a regular basis following feedback from parents who use our nappies, feel free to contact us if you encounter any issues with certain detergents or if you're particularly happy with a brand.
Can't find the answer to your question? Please get in touch with us on
firstname.lastname@example.org or on our contact form.